Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Handy Danny

I don't know how many people know this, but my dad is one talented guy. He is my go-to for help on any hardcore projects or when I have a dumb question about a simple project. He built the oak desk that I am sitting at now for me for Christmas years ago, and I will cherish it forever. [I would share a photo, but my office is a disaster zone, and you can barely even see the desk...maybe some other time.] He made Georgie an incredible, cedar toy box for her birthday. He helped with made all my "canvases" for my senior project in college. 

 [December 2012: via instagram]

There are numerous other projects that I could mention, but I feel like you can't even appreciate them unless you understand the time and love he puts into everything he does. Sometimes I tend to want to rush him with shortcuts about things like filling nail holes or one last pass with the sander, but he is a perfectionist. I know this is where I inherited the trait when I am working on a project. 

Last week after he finished making Georgie's toy box he just whipped up some cedar trays [like it is no big deal] for the women in the family. I am torn because I want to keep mine readily accessible so I can use it, but it looks so pretty on display. 


 

Some of my favorite childhood memories with my daddy are of helping him in his shop. He would help my brother and sister and I to make each other homemade Christmas gifts when we were little. Sometimes we would just go out there and hang out while he worked on a project. I would sweep up the sawdust while he worked. He is one handy guy, and I am thankful for every one of his creations and for the lessons he taught me in taking pride in my work. 

xoxo,
Katie

2 comments: